- Eligibility & Selection Criteria
- Supported Fields of Study
- Application Process
- Contact Information
The ECA provides outstanding Singaporeans who have recently completed their PhD or post-doctoral training an opportunity to enhance their teaching capabilities as well as establish a strong research portfolio before they are considered for a tenure track appointment at SMU. Awardees will hold appointment as Lecturer for a period of up to three years during which they will receive a research grant, reduced teaching load and guidance of an academic mentor.
Upon completion of the award, awardees will be considered to join SMU’s faculty as an Assistant Professor on the tenure track.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
- Singapore citizens
- Doctoral degree holders or of those who have completed postdoctoral training in a discipline relevant to SMU
- Excellent academic record plus a high degree of proficiency and motivation for selected research area
- A keen interest in an academic career at SMU
Supported Fields of Study
The following fields of study will be supported for ECA:
- Personal statement detailing the motivation for pursuing an academic career at SMU
- Research statement & how the applicant's research interests are aligned with SMU’s core areas of excellence
- Detailed CV
- Degree certificates and academic transcripts
- Three best research publications
- Names and email addresses of three references whom you have approached to provide a referee report on applicant. Referees to send the referee reports to SMU directly.
Applications may be submitted throughout the year but candidates are advised to submit them at least nine months prior to the intended commencement date of the ECA stint.
Shortlisted candidates will first be invited for an interview with faculty from their discipline of interest and upon their recommendation, may be invited to an interview with the Selection Panel. The Selection Panel will typically convene twice a year, in the first and fourth quarters. Decisions on the award will be based on the interviews and the application materials submitted.
Last updated on 16 Apr 2018.