Insights from Thought Leaders
Sensation seeking is a personality trait defined by the search for experiences and feelings that are varied, novel, complex and intense; and by the readiness to take physical, social, legal, and financial risks for the sake of such experiences. Research has shown that CEOs with this personality trait take on more business risk, and sensation seeking retail investors exhibit riskier economic behaviour and trade more often. Yet, little is known about sensation seeking on the trading behavior of professional investors. In this podcast, Prof Melvyn Teo of SMU's Lee Kong Chian School of Business shares his study which examined the automobile ownership of hedge fund managers to gauge their proclivity for sensation seeking, and analysed their investment behaviour.
May 2017Sustainable agriculture aims at growing food in an ecologically and ethically responsible manner by using practices that enhance environmental quality and natural resource base, while maintaining the economic viability of farm operations.
Research@SMU and Its Impact
25 May 2017What can be done to help older Singaporeans live better? SMU's Centre for Research on the Economics of...
27 Apr 2017In an increasingly digitised world, the stakes in the battle to defend computer systems against cyberthreats...
27 Apr 2017Research from the Mastercard-SMU Financial and Social Inclusion programme suggests that societal and...
25 Apr 2017SMU Associate Professor William Tov examines how everyday emotions shape our overall well-being. Back to...
SMU President shares his directions and strategies towards realising SMU Vision 2025.
Research Excellence across Management, Social Science & Technology.
Watch a video on SMU PhD Student-Faculty Interaction.
Ranked 3rd globally and 1st in Asia by Financial Times.
Areas of Excellence
Analytics for Business, Consumer & Social Insights
- Big data is the new norm of and the capabilities of new technologies make new insights possible.
Finance & Financial Markets
- Financial markets are vital to enabling business creation and expansion. SMU hosts 17 competencies and real-world test beds related to financial markets.
Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- In global markets, innovation is the foundation of economic growth and entrepreneurship provides the necessary mobilization for economic value creation.
Urban Management & Sustainability
- Developing innovative solutions to efficient resource planning and allocation for enhanced urban mobility and operations.
Ageing & Healthcare Management
- Bringing together the best researchers in ageing to help Singapore prepare for its ageing population.