HOW TO APPLY
The University’s hostel accepts applications from all full-time undergraduates both local and international who plan to study full time at SMU for the forthcoming academic year. Preference is generally given to first-year students particularly international applicants,who will need assistance to assimilate and transit into life in Singapore and our University.
The allocation of rooms is at the discretion of the University and subject to the disposition and needs of applicants. Allocations will result in students of various age and cultural backgrounds being accommodated together in shared units, a reflection of SMU’s diverse student population.
All applicants who are interested to stay in SMU Residences @ Prinsep for Semester 1 only (from 1 August 2017 to 31 December 2017) can fill in and submit the application (e-Form) via the following links:
a) Housing Portal for Existing Students (click on the link).
b) Housing Portal for Students who have yet to matriculate (click on the link). (FAQ on login)
Students can submit their e-applications from 08 June 2017 (10am Singapore time) to 31st July 2017 (1159 Singapore time).
All applicants are advised to submit their e-applications online, which would close once all rooms are taken up. Applications will be processed on a first-come-first-serve basis for freshman applicants only. Applications made by senior undergraduates would be assessed by the Housemaster on their eligibility to stay in Prinsep.
You would be hearing from us regarding the offer of room through email on your application status.
Unsuccessful applicants will be placed on a waiting list and any allocation will be given based on any withdrawal or cancellation.
Successful applicants are able to move in from 1 August 2017. Early check-in is chargeable and is subject to room availability. One week's advance notice to the Hostel Office is required for processing.
Note to All Applicants
- Submission of this application does not guarantee an offer of accommodation.
- Successful applicants will be informed of their application results and room allocations via email.
- Applicants are required to pay an Advance Payment of S$1,401.00 for Single Room or S$1,294.00 for Twin-Sharing Room, upon acceptance of the accommodation offer. The mode of payment is via Telegraphic/Bank Transfer only. A copy of the completed transaction slip or email notification from the bank for the payment made shall be returned to email@example.com by the due date stated in the Letter of Offer, in order for your bed to be reserved successfully. The Advance Payment shall be set off against partial room rental, room deposit, utilities charges and registration fees.
- Successful applicants are required to pay the Hostel Fees which comprise of room rental, utilities charges, registration fee, and deposit. The payment for the balance of Semester 1 fees shall be made in mid-August 2017.
Payments for hostel fees can be made by:
- Cheque made payable to “Singapore Management University” and submitted personally to the Office of Finance at Level 12 Administration Building;
- Online Credit/Debit Card Payment via Student Self-Service Page.
- NETs or Credit/Debit Card personally at Office of Finance.
Office of Finance's operating hours are from Tuesdays to Thursdays 11.00am to 2.00pm excluding public holidays.
- Early check in before 01/08/2017 is chargeable on a pro-rata basis, and is subject to room availability and one week's advance notice is required for processing.
- Room Deposit is refundable provided that all residential liabilities have been settled and the check-out for the room is in order as per the house rules and the room/apartment and it's accompanying furniture is checked out and returned in the original condition.
- Utilities charges is fixed and collected upfront. Utlities charges cover supply of electricity, water and air-conditioning. The supply of air-conditioning to the rooms is from 3pm to 10am from Mondays to Fridays and 24-hours air-conditioning from Saturdays to Sundays and public holidays.
- Successful applicant shall remain in residence for the time specified in the agreement once an allocation of hostel accommodation has been assigned to him/her. No pre-termination of stay is allowed except for unforeseen circumstances such as withdrawal of course from SMU.
- Unsuccessful applicants will be informed of their application status and placed on the waiting list. However, being placed on the waiting list does not guarantee an offer of accommodation.
Last updated on 7 Jun 2017.