Things to do
- If you require a visa to enter Singapore, SMU will arrange one to be issued. The student's pass in-principal approval (IPA) letter that you will receive will include a single-entry visa. Please ensure that you have received the IPA letter before you leave for Singapore. Please read here before you start the student's pass application process.
- All students are required to undergo a compulsory medical examination with Raffles Medical Group (RMG) in Singapore prior to starting their studies at SMU. Please visit the matriculation website for more details.
- Please ensure that you have a valid passport for international travel with a validity of at least six months.
- International full-time undergraduates must bring along their original high school results and/or transcripts, SAT I report etc. for verification at the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at SMU upon arrival into Singapore. Official translations of documents are required if they are not in English. Postgraduates are to bring their relevant documents with them for verification on the specific date stated by their respective Graduate Offices.
- Please ensure that you have confirmed all your housing arrangements and that you have a place to stay upon your arrival in Singapore.
- You must bring enough money to cover the expenses incurred in the first few weeks of your stay in Singapore. It is advisable to carry a cash amount of approximately S$1,000, supplemented with larger amounts in bank drafts or travellers' cheques during your settling-in period. Please note that bank drafts drawn on overseas banks take about three weeks to clear.
- You must pack your personal belongings such as clothing and toiletries, although most things can be purchased in Singapore. As Singapore is generally humid and hot throughout the year, most students usually wear jeans, bermudas and T-shirts. You may want to bring some formal clothing for formal functions and presentations.
- Feel free to pack your national costume for SMU Peace Day!
Things to bring
- A passport with a validity of at least six months
- A photocopy of the bio-data page of the passport
- Student pass In-Principal-Approval (IPA) Letter
- Form 16 – to be presented when collecting your student pass from ICA.
- Pre-enrolment medical report. Please click here for more details on medical examination requirements.
- SMU's Letter of Offer (printed copies from email are also acceptable)
- All original academic transcripts and educational documents
- Other forms of personal identification, such as an identity card and birth certificate
- Six passport-sized photographs done in your home country (size: 35mm x 43mm)
- Letter or email confirming your accommodation plans in Singapore